Aller au contenu | Aller au menu principal | Aller au sous menu | Aller au menu en un clic | Aller aux liens divers | Aller à la recherche

Mairie de Vitré

Menu principal

HomeDiscover Vitré > Town of Art and History label > Laissez-vous conter ...Hôtel (de) Ringues de la Troussanais

Hôtel (de) Ringues de la Troussanais

 

DéplierLocalisation

Hôtel (de) Ringues de la Troussanais - JPEG - 23.2 kb
Hôtel (de) Ringues de la Troussanais

The construction of this early Renaissance mansion, erected by Ringues de la Troussannais, probably dates back to between 1530 and 1550, a period in which this style flourished throughout Brittany. The L-shaped layout features two wings, connected and accessible via an impressive, square, outer stair tower which dominates the main building with its height. It is constructed from local schist stone and its openings are embellished with Vitré sandstone. Set back from the main street thanks to its enclosed courtyard, this dwelling represents the expression of a new architectural style that appeared during the Medieval period, one which reached its height of popularity during the classical era. It then became an urban townhouse. Through the design, the materials used (stone) and the topographical location within the town (central, opposite the Notre-Dame church) the patron ostentatiously expressed his social bourgeois status, recently enhanced through the hemp linen trade.